My foray into CA cichlids

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
He looks to have settled in already. Seems happy with the extra space.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The calm before the storm? I just don't see those beautiful sliver dollars being happy as dithers, but we shall see...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
@DMD123 @lloyd378 I have tried Hikari Cichlid sinking, Tetra floating cichlid, and Omega one cichlid sinking. The SDs go crazy for all 3. Boomer just hangs back or mouths it and spits it out.
Also, when I got home today there was a 6in circular pit dug one the open side of the tank. Do Hoga dig? I have read flagtail cats are either pit spawners or bubble nesters so could have been them?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
He ate everything for me... he is probably still adjusting to the new tank . Give it a week or so and he will start eating.
As for digging, that is normal. Amphs love to dig..... you should see how all the gravel is up against the front of the tank with both my chanco tank and trimac tank

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
He ate everything for me... he is probably still adjusting to the new tank . Give it a week or so and he will start eating.
As for digging, that is normal. Amphs love to dig..... you should see how all the gravel is up against the front of the tank with both my chanco tank and trimac tank

So, no rooted plants have a chance?:( Diggers and vegetarians are against me:mad:
LOL

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The hoga was a pellet eater for me. He was fed Omega One floating and sinking. Ate more like a wild caught rather than tank born fish. What I mean is it was not a glutton and over ate. It tended to eat smaller meals and did not stuff itself. Im sure its getting used to the aggressive feeding behavior of the Silver dollars too.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Rehomed, due to not being the direction I had originally wanted to go. I’m still surprised at how passive Boomer was. Anytime I fed the SD went crazy like piraña and Boomer would retreat to the other side.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So Im thinking Boomer decided to be a digger? Ive had some cichlids that left things alone and others that regularly decided to redecorate, lol.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Dmd, I think I saw one of the hogas at AP yesterday .... looked just like one of the 3 I gave you way back when ....

Anyways, these fish are getting some milage on them. Haha

From California to shawn, to me, to you, to fishguy , to someone new.

And I haven’t really kept track of the other two . Haha ( but I’m guessing one of the other two ended up at AP)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
So Im thinking Boomer decided to be a digger? Ive had some cichlids that left things alone and others that regularly decided to redecorate, lol.

No, his addition was limiting the addition of some othe fish I would like to add that are smaller.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The other two are deceased. One was given to @Sean Talkington, a fishkeeper in Vancouver and it managed to jump out a small uncovered area in the back of the tank and the other got put into a tank for a little bit with the hoga that @fishguy1978 got and it was beat up and descaled. So that one was the last of the hoga.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
So it might not have been the same fish I saw..... it looked like the hoga, but could have easily have been a red sided barred Midas

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I thought, for some reason, that you lived down south like Rochester