Best FW aquarium large invertebrate?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Best FW aquarium large invertebrate?

I was considering adding a lobster or such to my 75 gallon tank. Wondering what you all advise would be the best. I'm wanting something more than just my swimmers but don't want to have to search around the tank to find little shrimp either. Food fed to current inhabitants are Ken's premium tropical fish flake, Ken's veggie sticks with calcium, and Ken's veggie wafers. I have krill that can be added as well and some cichlid pellets left over from a fish that passed I could provide as well.

A

Anonymous

Re: Best FW aquarium large invertebrate?

Awesome critters , great scavengers, will eat just about anything. Awesome addition for NON planted tanks with larger fish.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Tank is fake planted and I have pristilla and glow light tetras as my smallest. Are they quick enough to getaway? I was thinking a blue lobster.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Do they eat plants? (why you say non-planted) Eventually the 75 gallon is going to a 150 planted is why I ask.

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Tank is fake planted and I have pristilla and glow light tetras as my smallest. Are they quick enough to getaway? I was thinking a blue lobster.

We are talking about an opportunistic hunter here. If the fish ever hover around these plants or near structures it is possible Mr Crawdaddy will make its way to them.  You can always try it. I am speaking on personal experience here and have had several predatory  inverts sizes ranging from 2" to 16". Far as I know I didn't loose to many tetra . It was more like my $15 dwarf pikes, Cory cats, Oto cats, a few small bristle nose. But have seen em in plants and woods waiting for that tetra to come near and snapping at them.

dwarfpike

The largest, safe shrimp I know of is a Bamboo shrimp (Atyopsis sp.).

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Do they eat plants? (why you say non-planted) Eventually the 75 gallon is going to a 150 planted is why I ask.
Crawfish/lobsters eat everything. I used to house them before I switched to dwarves and planted my tank. When I starting planting my Yabby decimated my plants. I had a blue, and an orange 'lobster'. They seem the same just different colors.

dwarfpike said:
The largest, safe shrimp I know of is a Bamboo shrimp (Atyopsis sp.).
do you think I could add some to my 140 with dwarf cichlids and Angel fish if I find large enough ones?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

fishNAbowl said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:

We are talking about an opportunistic hunter here. If the fish ever hover around these plants or near structures it is possible Mr Crawdaddy will make its way to them.  You can always try it. I am speaking on personal experience here and have had several predatory  inverts sizes ranging from 2" to 16". Far as I know I didn't loose to many tetra . It was more like my $15 dwarf pikes, Cory cats, Oto cats, a few small bristle nose. But have seen em in plants and woods waiting for that tetra to come near and snapping at them.

Okay, so if fed properly then mine shouldn't go after many fish. I have angels, tetras, a pictus, a sailfin pleco and a featherfin in the tank. The tetra's are probably the only thing it would try for and they seem quick enough.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

fishNAbowl said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Crawfish/lobsters eat everything. I used to house them before I switched to dwarves and planted my tank. When I starting planting my Yabby decimated my plants. I had a blue, and an orange 'lobster'. They seem the same just different colors.
Hmm, so this might be a good thing until switched over to the 150 and then it might need a new home then? lol I don't want one to decimate my plants in a 150.

A

Anonymous

The tetra will be highest risk of becoming a meal. What I have noticed at 1st like anything else it'll go in your tank scared. Pinchers up, scurrying away until it finds a safe spot. Once it's found its safe spot it'll protect it. So if Mr Angel or Mr Pictus comes to investigate , snip snip. Over time it'll slowly come out and start investigating.

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
fishNAbowl said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Hmm, so this might be a good thing until switched over to the 150 and then it might need a new home then? lol I don't want one to decimate my plants in a 150.
They are an awesome critter though. If you have the opportunity to house one I would recommend it. They just need to be accommodated for just like every other critter we house :)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Not so much worried about the homicidal pictus but I kinda like the tetras lol. If I had room to house one that it wouldn't snack on everything I would. Hmm :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

So what type?
Electric Blue Lobster

Neon Red Lobster

Pearl Lobster

or Lobster Thermidor

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

For breeding, which every is cheaper since it's a going to be dinner lol. For my tank I wanted the blue, but after hearing what fishNAbowl had for experience I don't think it's a good option :(

Madness

Staff member

Not sure if you know this but acquiring, housing selling of these in Washington state is illegal. Make sure you check with Oregon laws first.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Lobster are illegal too? Not just crays? I am in Washington but about an hour from the oregon border

A

Anonymous

:( maybe someone else will chime in with different experiences. I've housed them with larger tetra like adult Congo's. Even then I would catch my Yabby on a log snapping at them. The Congo's where roughly 3" of zippidy turbo. Other fish were clown loaches (4"+), and a school of large pictus cats. They all did well with my crayfish...

I once had a freshwater prawn that grew to 16" of alien terror. Then my Spotfaced pike tore into it. It was like Godzilla Vs Mothra. Twisty shell , meat, and entangled arms flying all over the place. It was a sad day indeed.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Madness said:
Not sure if you know this but acquiring, housing selling of these in Washington state is illegal.  Make sure you check with Oregon laws first.
Madness, can you provide me with a location to find what all is illegal to obtain and own in washington so I can bookmark it and keep it for reference. That way I don't get my hopes up for cool looking stuff only to find out I'd be an illegal beagal.

Madness

Staff member

Please check out the laws here: http://www.wafishbox.com/t7948-forum-rules-on-illegal-plant-and-animal-species-state-and-federal-laws

A

Anonymous

Madness said:
Not sure if you know this but acquiring, housing selling of these in Washington state is illegal.  Make sure you check with Oregon laws first.
 :affraid: Now that I think about it I haven't seen specialty lobsters in a while. So the blues, reds, whites, oranges, and Yabby's are now illegal? Wasn't there some electric blues at Aquarium coop not so long ago?